Monday, May 21, 2012

Charleston, South Carolina


We arrived at one of our most anticipated stops, Charleston in usual Larry and the Family Jules fashion: hungry. We decided to go straight to Hominy Grill for some breakfast. Larry ordered the shrimp and grits and I ordered The Big Nasty. Being "Yankees" as we're so lovingly referred to by everyone here, we had never had grits before let alone with shrimp. This dish threw out every preconception of grits, shrimp, bacon AND food we've ever had. It was seriously delicious. The Big Nasty was also really, really good as was my mimosa. 
We planned on going to the Boone Hall Plantation at noon when they opened but had a little time to kill before the time came so we went for a walk along the water.  We saw so many beautiful houses and loved seeing Rainbow Row.  We also stopped by the oldest house in the south, The Pink House. I've been loving seeing all of the old movie theaters in all of the different cities, so I made sure to stop by the American Theater to see where Noah and Allie went on their first date :) It's no longer a movie theater, but is used for weddings and other events.

For lunch we went to Southend Brewery and Smokehouse. We ordered their flight so we could sample all of their beers. Larry thought it was the best beer we've had yet on this trip (but still thought it was nothing too special), while I hated all 6 of the beers we sampled. We shared their nachos which were great! 
On our way out of Charleston, we stopped at the Angel Oak.  Unfortunately, the gate was closed because they close early on Sundays but we still got to see it through the fence. This tree is estimated to be 1,500 years old! Its branches look like normal, huge trees and most of them lay down on the ground from holding up their weight. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys sorry I haven't commented sooner I'm following, but haven't had a chance to comment till now. I do have to say that whenever I look at your site it makes me either hungry or thirsty. Everything look and sounds delish!! I feel like am on a Food TV/DDD show.
    I am really enjoying looking at your photos. Love the tunnel, brick wall & super sized dresser they are really cool..... Love seeing the plates of food too!!!
    I notice Larry's smile is never bigger then when he has a flight in front of
    him.

    Be Happy Be safe
    XO Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup... watching you two sit there eating your grits, shrimp,sandwiches, etc; makes me hate everything about myself right now. it's like watching the food channel- you can't just jump through the screen and bite into it.
    -Steve

    ReplyDelete