Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Conclusion by Larry "Billy the Kid" Sprovieri

This country is filled with a lot of nothing and a lot of a lot. In what may seem like a blink of an eye you could be driving across sunny flat plains to all of a sudden be zig-zagging through snowy mountains. Jules and I have seen the landscape change before our eyes and have met every type of person imaginable on our trip. It seemed as if we saw so much but on our way back I could still think, “I saw so little.”
Las Vegas

People have asked me what was my favorite part and I usually answer with, “Austin, Texas was fun. California is beautiful but Zion National Park was amazing.” Those granite canyons would of stole my heart if the girl by my side hadn’t done so already. To have so much natural variety in such a small concentration of land is truly a sight to behold. Truthfully every place was great. Even Kansas had its moments. However, one place that stands out to me was Arizona. Truly like no other place. Seeing a Saguaro Cactus in person really blew my mind. All the cities are cool in their own way as well. I got reminded of Manhattan, for one reason or another, in just about every one. When I would see a familiar sight, nostalgia would kick in and I would get sad because I wouldn’t get to see home for so long, and towards the end I would be seeing it too soon! We would be walking down a street in San Francisco and all of a sudden feel like we were walking right down St. Marks Place. It kept making me feels as though so much was LIKE the city, but nothing was the city.  Which leads me to say two quotes, “There is no place like home," and, "New York City IS the greatest city in the world.” Yea, I know I haven’t been outside the country, yet, but well tackle that subject in Larry and the Family Jules’ Cross-Europe tour.
Los Angeles

Our trip evolved as we traveled, and we learned more every day. We left with smiles and arrived in tears. I don’t think either of us looks at this country the same way as we did before we left. It changed me in more ways than one. For example, I was excited to meet all the different kinds of people, and I did. I was excited to meet the stereotypes. The California surfer dude, the Southern “hicks” or even another couple of cross-country hippies; just to name a few. I can’t say that these people don’t exist because they most certainty do but when you finally meet them as individuals you realize that people are just people, no matter how many stereotypes they fit. For a while in Texas I forgot that I was in so in far into the south. After time the accent, and obesity, eventually flowed right by me and it wasn’t until we returned that I was reminded from our videos of how differently so many people live. It’s tough to say what I’m getting at so I’ll just get to the point. “People from separate demographics are different but people within those communities are different as well.” Every person is their own being no matter how they were brought up or by whom. Majority of the people we met loved our story and what we had to tell, we loved what they had to tell. From all over people tried to help us if they saw we were lost or confused. I can honestly say that even if we don’t agree with the way people go about doing things we are all trying to get to the same place in the end.
Arizona

So much just “worked out” for Jules and I. When things didn’t we stood by each other’s side and helped to make the best of what were dealt. This led to us having very few bad moments on our trip and many wonderful ones. I can’t imagine what this trip would have been like with anyone else but her. Thank you so much Jules for doing this with me, even when you were uncertain at times. It means more to me than you will ever know. So what else is there… oh yea, would I have done anything differently? Yea, saved some trunk space and bought my fireworks on the way back.


No comments:

Post a Comment